Jan. 26, 2013
CORAL GABLES, Fla, -- -
The #35 Arizona State women's tennis team fell to the University of Miami, 4-3, in the second round of the ITA National Indoor Qualifying weekend on Saturday afternoon in Coral Gables, Fla. The 9th-ranked Hurricanes handed the Sun Devils just their first loss of the season, bringing ASU to 3-1 (0-0 Pac-12) on the season.
"It was a very tough match and an extremely disappointing loss as we were right there at the end with a great opportunity to win," Arizona State head coach Sheila McInerney said.
In the doubles matches, the freshman-sophomore pairing of Ebony Panoho and Joanna Smith fell to Melissa Bolivar and Clementina Riobueno of Miami, 8-4. In the wake of losing the first match, the other two Sun Devil pairings on the courts were able to defeat their Hurricane opponents, each finishing off 8-6.
Seniors Jacqueline Cako and Nicole Smith defeated Lina Lileikite and Stephanie Wagner on the first court, while Leighann Sahagun topped Kelsey Laurente and Brittany Dubins on the third, earning Arizona State the first match point of the day.
"We played very well to win the doubles point, but Miami was the physically stronger team in singles," McInerney said.
Singles proved to be a tough yet exciting spot for ASU, with every single match bearing importance -- but Miami was able to win four of the six singles matches earning the overall victory. Arizona State was in it until the end however, with the score resting at 3-2 after completing four of the six matches.
Jacqueline Cako was able to knock 57th-ranked Lina Lileikite off in two sets 6-0, 7-5, and Leighann Sahagun closed out the day with a win in a three setter against Stephanie Wagner.
"I thought they (Miami) were the team dictating play in the singles," McInerney said. "This is something we need to improve on."
Due to the loss, ASU did not qualify for the ITA Indoor Nationals and will practice for the next two weeks until San Jose State comes to Tempe on Feb. 13. Even with the loss, the Sun Devils will bring back more than just sand from the beaches of Miami -- lessons learned from a tough struggle with a top-10 opponent.
"I was proud of the way we battled and I think we can learn from this loss moving forward," McInerney said.
Tennis Match Results
Arizona State vs Miami
Jan 26, 2013 at Coral Gables, Fla.
(Neil Schiff Tennis Center)
#9 Miami 4, #35 Arizona State 3
1. Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. #57 Lina Lileikite (UM) 6-0, 7-5
2. #51 Kelsey Laurente (UM) def. #86 Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Melissa Bolivar (UM) def. Stephanie Vlad (ASU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Leighann Sahagun (ASU) def. #92 Stephanie Wagner (UM) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Ebony Panoho (ASU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
6. Deborah Suarez (UM) def. Joanna Smith(ASU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Jacqueline Cako/Nicole Smith (ASU) def. Lina Lileikite/Stephanie Wagner (UM) 8-6
2. Melissa Bolivar/Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Ebony Panoho/Joanna Smith (ASU) 8-4
3. Desirae Krawczyk/Leighann Sahagun (ASU) def. Kelsey Laurente/Brittany Dubins (UM) 8-6
Arizona State 3-1; National ranking #35
Miami 4-0; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,1,6,2,5,4)