March 4, 2013
TEMPE, Ariz. -
The No. 21 Arizona State Sun Devils women's tennis team defeated No. 22 Memphis 5-2 on Monday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe, Ariz.
"I'm very pleased with the win against a good Memphis team," head coach Sheila McInerney said. "We knew it would be a tough match and it certainly was."
The Sun Devil squad opened the day off securing the doubles point, winning on the #2 and #3 courts. Joanna Smith and Ebony Panoho edged out their Tiger pairing by a score of 8-4, while Leighann Sahagun and Desirae Krawczyk took their opponents to a tie breaker game winning 9-8 (2).
"It was a great match with the doubles point ending in a tiebreaker and five of the six singles matches going the distance," McInerney said. "Memphis is a talented team that competes extremely well."
Go the distance they did, with the two through six courts all going to three sets -- except for Jacqueline Cako, who made quick work of No. 23 Cortney Collins on the main stage finishing first and winning 6-1, 6-1. The next match to finish put a W on Memphis' side of the whiteboard, while the following two went to the Sun Devils.
With the overall match point on the line, senior Hannah James was able to secure the match in spectacular fashion, closing out her third set not loosing a game. The senior who is still slowly working her way back into the lineup defeated Alyssa Hibberd 3-6, 6-4, 6-0.
"We can't get any closer than that and I am proud of our effort," McInerney said.
Arizona State will practice for the next week before traveling to Colorado to take on the Buffaloes Friday afternoon.
No. 21 Arizona State 5, No. 22 Memphis 2
Whiteman Tennis Center
Mar. 4, 2012
1. Collins/Gray (Memphis) def. Cako/N. Smith (ASU), 8-6
2. J. Smith/Panoho (ASU) def. Hibberd/Welcher (Memphis), 8-4
3. Sahagun/Krawczyk (ASU) def. Wegner/Mikesz (Memphis), 9-8 (2)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. No. 88 Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. No. 23 Courtney Collins (Memphis), 6-1, 6-1
2. Tiffany Welcher (Memphis) def. No. 111 Desirae Krawczyk (ASU), 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-1
3. Skylar Kuykendall (Memphis) def. Leighann Sahagun (ASU), 6-7 (3), 6-2, 6-1
4. Stephanie Vlad (ASU) def. Liza Tymchenko (Memphis), 6-2, 0-6, 6-3
5. Hannah James (ASU) def. Alyssa Hibberd (Memphis), 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
6. Joanna Smith (ASU) def. Caroline Wegner (Memphis), 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 5, 2, 6