|High School:||Chavez Senior|
CLICK HERE for Nelson's Career Statistics
- Excellent athlete with experience at multiple positions between his high school and junior college careers.
Named a preseason candidate for the Mackey Award (nation’s most outstanding tight end) Watch List.
- A perfect fit for the three-back role in ASU's offense
A guy whom coach Graham referred to frequently as one of the most athletic on the team
Split time on both sides of the ball in the early parts of the season
- Earned his first career sack against Weber State (8/28)
Was instrumental in the running game as an excellent blocker on the edge of the line
Finished the year with 13 receptions for 125 yards and a score.
- Became the first Sun Devil tight end to log a reception this season against Colorado (9/13)
- Had a career high three receptions for 39 yards against Stanford (10/18)
Redshirt Junior (2013):
- Saw action in all 14 games on the season at both tight end and running back, was a special teams star and also saw time at rush end in a couple games, logging his first career defensive tackles.
- Earned All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention (Special Teams) recognition
- Assisted in the rushing game, recording 15 attempts for 53 yards and two touchdowns.
- First two rushing touchdowns of his career came against Arizona.
- Had seven receptions for 107 yards and two touchdowns recording his first career receiving touchdown against Sacramento State on his only reception of the game.
- Played on special teams and defense recording 16 tackles and two forced fumbles.
- Had a career high three tackles against Washington State and recorded his first forced fumble against Utah.
San Joaquin Delta College:
- Rated by ESPN as the No. 78 overall junior college prospect in the country and the nation's No. 7 junior college tight end recruit.
- Caught 26 passes for 218 yards with two touchdowns in nine games in 2012.
- Was named First-Team All-Valley Conference as a sophomore.
- Earned All-State honors in 2011, leading Delta to a victory in the Silicon Valley Bowl.
- Coached by Gary Barlow at San Joaquin Delta College.
- Verbally committed to ASU on Jan. 20, 2013.
- Attended Chavez Senior High School.
- Was regarded as the No. 19 overall prospect in central California by Scout.com as a senior in 2009 and ranked by Scout.com as the No. 158 running back prospect in the nation as high school senior.
- Carried 106 times for 824 yards with six touchdowns and caught 13 passes for 294 yards with three scores as a senior in 2008 and added 16 tackles and two pass deflections.
- Played running back and free safety.
- Also played basketball in high school.
- Rushed 88 times for 602 yards with seven touchdowns and added 24 tackles with 3.5 sacks as a sophomore in 2006 at Stockton (Calif.) Lincoln High, playing fullback and linebacker.
- Chose ASU over reported scholarship offers from Fresno State, Memphis, Nevada, San Diego State, Texas Tech, Utah State and Western Michigan.
- Coached by Eric Duncon at Chavez Senior HS.