Arizona State 2013:
- Competed at the Pac-12 Championships and placed 32nd in the 8k with a time of 26:04.
- Recorded a career best time of 24:34 in the 8k at the Wisconsin Invitational.
- Widely considered amongst the top-ranked distance recruits in the United States and enters his senior season at Cibola High School (Yuma, Ariz.) with eight state championships.
- He became the first student-athlete in Arizona prep history to win three state cross country titles following his 5,000-meter victory in 15:14.23 at the Arizona Division I State Championships before going on to finish 22nd at the Nike Cross Country nationals this past fall.
- In 2012, Montoya made headlines across the country as he won the prestigious adidas Dream Mile in New York. The races are run as a part of the Diamond League meet, the adidas Grand Prix. Both the Dream Mile and Dream 100 are invitation only races (selected by adidas) with the Mile featuring the 14 best athletes in the country on both the men`s and women`s sides.
- Montoya shocked the field with his winning time of 4:01.32 to win the event, clocking the fastest time in United States junior class prep history and the ninth-fastest time in U.S. high school history, period.
- Montoya also holds the Arizona state two-mile record with his time of 8:48.25 at 3,200-meters...He finished his career at Cibola winning three titles at the Arizona High School State Championships with three individual titles, taking the 800-meter run in a time of 1:50.19, which would be a new record for the state of Arizona at any division, a record previously held by former ASU standout John Kline...