• A starter in 84 of 95 career games, in 2016 Brunner earned honorable mention recognition on the 2016 WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches’ All-America Team, the first Sun Devil to earn all-America notice since Briann January in 2009.
• Will return as ASU’s active leader in points (957), rebounds (678 - 3rd on ASU’s all-time list), assists (126) and steals (138). Is also 2nd on ASU’s all-time list for most rebounds (56) in the NCAA Tournament.
• Has earned All-Pac-12 and Pac-12 Defensive Honorable Mention recognition each of the last two seasons. Also earned Pac-12 All-Freshman honorable mention recognition in 2014.
• Has earned Pac-12 All-Academic notice each of the last two seasons.
• Has led the team in both rebounding and field goal percentage each of the last two seasons.
• Has 15 career double-doubles (4 in 2013-14/6 in 2014-15/5 in 2015-16).
• Earned All-Pac-12 recognition as a sophomore in 2015 after she led the team in field goal percentage (54.3) and rebounding (7.6 rpg) and finished 2nd in scoring (11.9 ppg). In addition, was the only post player among top 10 in the Pac-12 in steals (9th in all games - 1.8 spg and 3rd in conference games - 2.4 spg).
• Earned Pac-12 All-Freshman honorable mention recognition in 2014 after she played in every game (22 starts) and finished 2nd on the team in FG pct. (49.7) and rebounds (6.4 rpg) and 4th in scoring (7.6 ppg). Notched double figures in scoring 12x and rebounds 8x.
• Earned a silver medal playing for the U.S. Pan American Games Team at the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto.
• Twice named to the AP’s All-State First-Team during high school career, Brunner had her #21 jersey retired at conclusion of her Aquin HS career after leading her team to back-to-back Class 1A state titles (2012-13).
• Earned honorable mention recognition on the 2016 WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches’ All-America Team in addition to Pac-12 All-Conference honors (coaches and media) and Pac-12 All-Defense honorable mention (coaches) honors for the second consecutive year.
• Started all 27 games she played in and led ASU in scoring (10.7 ppg), rebounds (7.4 rpg - 11th in Pac-12), FG pct (53.0 - 3rd in the Pac-12) and steals (1.7 spg - 9th in Pac-12) and was 3rd in assists (1.9 apg).
• Averaged 11.5 points and 8.1 rebounds while connecting on 57 percent of her field goals vs. teams that qualified for the 2016 NCAA Tournament (12 games).
• Missed 6 games in Nov.-Dec. after suffering an ankle injury in the fourth quarter of ASU’s 60-58 loss to then-No. 2 South Carolina in Hawaii (Nov. 27).
• Led ASU with 19 points and 7 rebounds in season opener vs. Kentucky (Nov. 15).
• Scored 6 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and had 3 steals vs. No. 2 South Carolina (Nov. 27). Suffered ankle injury and left the game with 4:27 left in the fourth quarter. Would go on to miss next 6 games.
• Returned to lineup on Dec. 19 vs. Marquette and scored 14 points to go with 4 rebounds.
• Posted 10 points, 6 rebounds & 3 steals in ASU’s upset of No. 10 FSU (Dec. 21).
• Scored 16 points, to go with 7 rebounds, 4 steals and a career-high-tying 5 assists in ASU’s win over Cal (Jan. 2).
• Was named espnW’s National Player of the week after averaging 11.7 points and 8.7 rebounds while shooting 52 percent from the field in wins over then-ninth-ranked Stanford, Washington and Washington State.
• Spectacular game vs. Arizona (Jan. 22) included 15 points (10 in 2nd half), 5 rebounds and a season-high 7 steals (tied for most in the Pac-12 this season).
• Scored 13 points (6-8 FGs) at Oregon State (Feb. 1).
• Connected on 73 pct (8-11) of FG attempts in wins over No. 14 UCLA (Feb. 5)/USC (Feb. 7). Was responsible for tying basket and game-winning FT after successfully converting 3-point play w/1.4 seconds left in ASU’s 69-68 win over USC.
• Scored all 11 of her points in the 2nd half of ASU’s win at Cal (Feb. 12).
• Posted second double-double of the season with 14 points (6-8 FGs) and season-high 12 rebounds and hit the game-winner at the buzzer in ASU’s 63-61 win at No. 13 Stanford (Feb. 14).
• Added second consecutive double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds in win vs. Washington State (Feb. 19).
• Had 4th double-double of the season (10 points, career-high-tying 13 rebounds and career-high-tying 5 assists) at UCLA (Feb. 28).
• Recorded 4th double-double in 6 games (5th of the season) after scoring 14 points and grabbing 11 rebounds in Pac-12 quarterfinal vs. Cal (Mar. 4).
• Averaged 10.0 points and 6.0 rebounds in ASU’s NCAA Tournament games vs. New Mexico State (Mar. 18) and Tennessee (Mar. 20).
• Named All-Pac-12 and Pac-12 Defensive Honorable Mention and was a member of the Pac-12 Tournament’s All-Tournament Team.
• Earned honorable mention Pac-12 All-Academic recognition.
• Started every game and concluded the season as the team leader in rebounding (7.6 rpg - 8th in Pac-12), steals (1.8 spg - 9th in Pac-12), FG pct. (54.3 - 4th in Pac-12) and FTs made (87) & attempted (119), 2nd in scoring (11.9 ppg), 4th in FT pct. (73.1) and 5th in assists (1.2 apg).
• Scored in double figures 23x, including 5 games with 20 or more points. The 24 points she scored at Oregon State (Feb. 13) tied the second-highest individual point total allowed by OSU in 2014-15.
• Scored in double figures in the 2nd half 7x, including 20 vs. Arizona and at OSU and 18 vs. Northwestern.
• Posted 6 double-doubles and grabbed 8 or more rebounds 18x.
• Had 3 or more steals 10x. In addition, had the Pac-12 single-game high for steals in 2014-15 (8 vs. Colorado - Mar. 1). Also, was the only post player among the top 10 in the Pac-12 in steals (9th in all games - 1.8 spg and 3rd in conference games - 2.4 spg).
• Opened season with a 20-point (12-14 FTs), 12-rebound effort in ASU’s win over Middle Tennessee (Nov. 14).
• Scored 22 points (8-15 FGs/6-6 FTs) in win vs. Bakersfield (Nov. 19).
• Named MVP of the ASU Classic (Dec. 20-21) for the 2nd straight season after averaging 18.5 points/9.0 rebounds in wins over Lehigh/Northwestern, who both came into tournament unbeaten. Scored 24 points and tied career high with 13 rebs in win vs. Northwestern.
• Averaged 13.5 points (11-15 FGs/73.3 pct), 6.0 rebounds and 4.0 steals in wins over Washington (Jan. 3) and Washington State (Jan. 5).
• Earned Pac-12 Player of the Week honors after averaging 17.0 ppg and 7.7 rpg, while shooting 68 percent (21-31) and 90 percent from the foul line (9-10) in ASU’s three wins – vs. Washington State (78-64 - Jan. 5), at Arizona (88-41 - Jan. 8) and vs. Arizona (71-54 - Jan. 10). Scored career-high 26 points in the Jan. 10 game vs. Arizona.
• Posted 4th double-double (15 points, 10 rebounds) in win at Colorado (Jan. 30) and followed with career-high 5 assists in win at Utah (Feb. 1).
• Despite first half foul trouble, still grabbed team-high 10 rebounds in win vs. Stanford (Feb. 6).
• Posted 10 points, 9 rebounds and 7 steals vs. Cal (Feb. 8).
• Grabbed 10 boards in consecutive games at Oregon (Feb. 15) and at UCLA (Feb. 20).
• Played 37 minutes and scored game-high 24 points (7-10 FGs, 10-12 FTs, 20 points in second half) at Oregon State (Feb. 13).
• Scored 14 points, to go along with 6 rebounds, 4 steals and 3 assists and played 45 minutes in ASU’s 2OT win at USC (Feb. 22).
• Was named to the Pac-12 All-Tournament Team after averaging 14.0 points and 7.5 rebounds while connecting on 59 percent of her FGs vs. Washington State (Mar. 6) and Stanford (Mar. 7). Had 5th double-double of the season (14 points/10 rebounds) vs. Stanford.
•Scored 14 points (5-8 FGs) and grabbed 6 rebounds in NCAA First Round win over Ohio (Mar. 21).
• Posted 6th double-double (17 points, 11 rebounds) as she scored 14 of her 17 points in the 2nd half of ASU’s 57-54 come-from-behind win over UALR (Mar. 23) in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament.
• Was a nominee for the 2015 Allstate WBCA and NABC Good Works Teams®, a prestigious community service award that recognizes a distinguished group of student-athletes who have demonstrated a commitment to enriching the lives of others and contributing to the greater good in their communities.
• 2014 Pac-12 Freshman Honorable Mention
• Played in every game (22 starts) and finished 2nd on the team in FG pct. (49.7) and rebounding (6.4 rpg) and 4th in scoring (7.6 ppg).
• Notched double figures in scoring 12x and rebounds 8x while accounting for 4 double-doubles.
• Averaged 10.5 ppg and shot 57 pct. (9-14) in 2 games vs. Stanford.
• Averaged 10.5 pts/9.5 rebs in ASU’s 2 NCAA Tournament games.
• Connected on 77 percent of her free throws (57-74) in the 13 games in which she attempted 4 or more free throws.
• Tied for team lead with 12 points (6-9 FGs) at San Diego (Nov. 13).
• Earned Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honors after averaging 9.0 ppg and 6.3 rpg while shooting 82 pct. in helping ASU win its games vs. Illinois, No. 11 UNC and Arkansas State at the Cancun Classic (Nov. 28-30). Recorded her first double-double (10 points/10 rebounds) as she scored all 10 of her points and had 7 of her 10 rebounds in the 2nd half and OT of ASU’s upset of UNC. Also played a big role helping ASU defeat Arkansas State as she scored 11 of her 13 points in the 2nd half.
• Named MVP of the ASU Classic after averaging 16.0 ppg, 9.5 rpg and 2.5 spg while shooting 78.6 pct. (11-14 FGs) in wins over Sacred Heart (Dec. 7) and Long Beach State (Dec. 8). Tied for team lead with 15 points to go along with 7 rebs vs. Sacred Heart. Scored 12 of her career-high 17 points 2nd half/OT of win over LBSU. Also had 12 rebs.
• Scored 13 points (5-6 FGs, 3-3 FTs) at Cal State Fullerton (Dec. 14).
• Grabbed 11 rebounds (7 offensive) to go along with 4 points in ASU’s win over No. 20 Syracuse (Dec. 30).
• Had 3rd double-double (10 points, 10 rebounds) at Wash. (Jan. 3).
• Came 1 point short of double-double (9 points, career-high 13 rebounds) in win vs. UCLA (Jan. 12).
• Scored 5 points, had 8 rebounds and a career-high 4 assists in ASU’s win over No. 15 Cal (Jan. 17).
• Posted her 4th double-double (12 points, 11 rebounds, 5-9 FGs) of the season vs. Stanford (Jan. 20).
• Averaged 10.0 points/5.0 rebounds and connected on 54.5 pct. of her FGs (6-11) and all 8 of her FTs in ASU’s road wins at Utah (Jan. 24) and at Colorado (Jan. 26). With ASU down 62-61 and fewer than 9 seconds left at Utah, calmly knocked down 2 FTs to put ASU up 63-62 in 65-62 win... Scored 8 of her 12 points at Colorado in the 2nd half.
• Scored 10 points in ASU’s win vs. Oregon State (Jan. 31).
• Scored 9 points (4-5 FGs) and had 7 rebounds at Stanford (Feb. 14).
• Was 2 points shy of double-double (8 pts/10 rebs) at Cal (Feb. 16).
• Scored 10 points and was 6-6 from the line at Oregon (Feb. 28).
• Came 1 rebound short of a double-double (14 points, 9 rebounds, 7-9 FGs) in ASU’s NCAA Tournament win over Vanderbilt (Mar. 22).
• Closed her remarkable freshman campaign scoring 7 points and grabbing a team-high 10 rebounds vs. Notre Dame in second round of the NCAA Tournament (Mar. 24).
• A 2013 graduate of Aquin High School (Freeport, Ill).
• Twice named to the AP’s All-State First-Team, Brunner had her No. 21 jersey retired at the conclusion of her Aquin High School after playing a central role in her team winning to back-to-back Class 1A state girls basketball titles (2012-13).
• Set 17 records in Illinois tournament finals play.
• As a senior, averaged 20.6 points, 10.6 rebounds and 4.8 assists in leading Aquin to a 31-3 record and its second consecutive 1A state title.
• Scored 33 points and grabbed 12 rebounds in the state 2013 1A final.
• Named to the Champaign News Gazette’s 15-player, all-class first-team as a junior after averaging 20 points, 11 rebounds and four assists.
• In 2012 her play helped lead Aquin to a school-record 32 wins and the Class 1A girls basketball title.
• Averaged 32.0 points, 12.0 rebounds, 6.0 steals, 3.5 assists and 2.5 blocks in the 2012 state semifinals and championship game.
• Played club basketball for Illinois Elite.
• Major is Educational Studies, Minor is Family and Human Development.
• Parents are Tom and Darcy Brunner.
• Has three siblings: Ellen (21), Gabby (18) and Heath (14).
• Hobbies include hanging with friends & family, laying by the pool, snowmobiling, and tubing.
• Born August 30, 1995 in Freeport, Ill.
• Full name is Sophia Elizabeth Brunner.