Don't have an account? Click Here
MBB Renewals
Courtesy: Steve Rodriguez
Sun Devil MBB Falls to Oregon State in OT; Earns No. 3 Seed in Pac-12 Tourney
Courtesy: Sun Devil Athletics
Release: 03/08/2014
Print RSS

CORVALLIS, Ore. – Arizona State came back from a 14-point, second-half deficit to force overtime, but would come up short in the extra session as Oregon State held on to win, 78-76.

The Sun Devils (21-10, 10-8 Pac-12) finished the regular season in a five-way tie for third place in the Pac-12 standings. By virtue of winning the tiebreaker over the other four schools – Cal, Colorado, Stanford and Oregon – they earn the No. 3 seed in next week’s Pac-12 Tournament and will play their first game on Thursday at 8:40 p.m. PT against an opponent to be determined.

Jahii Carson (24 points), Jonathan Gilling (20 points) and Shaquielle McKissic (12 points), combined to score 56 points for the Sun Devils, who fell for the first time in four overtime contests this season.

Roberto Nelson scored eight of Oregon State’s (16-14, 8-10) 11 points in overtime and finished the game with 15 points. Also playing a big role in the Beavers’ win was Eric Moreland, who accounted for 16 points and 19 rebounds.

Jermaine Marshall’s 3-pointer – his only field goal of the game – with 20 seconds remaining capped a 12-4 ASU run in the final 2:27 of regulation to tie the game at 67-67 and send it into overtime.

On Feb. 6 in Tempe, the Sun Devils shot 63 percent, including 75 percent from 3-point range, in the overtime period of their 86-82 win over the Beavers. Jordan Bachynski got the Sun Devils off to a similar start on Saturday after he made his first two field goals in overtime to give ASU a 71-69 lead, their first lead since the 7:22 mark of the first half.

Unfortunately for the Sun Devils, they would not hit another basket until McKissic’s 3-pointer with two seconds left. ASU's ability to produce points became more challenging as the overtime period progressed as both Gilling, who was 6-of-7 from beyond the arc, and Marshall fouled out. 

Saturday’s game was a see-saw affair, not so much in the sense of both teams exchanging baskets, but rather scoring runs.

Trailing by five at the half, the Sun Devils would get within two after Gilling’s fifth 3-pointer of the game cut OSU’s lead to 37-35. However the Beavers would score the game’s next 11 points to go up 48-35. They would eventually take their largest lead of the game after Daniel Gomis’ only field goal of the contest gave the Beavers a 54-40 advantage with 10:36 remaining.

Led by Carson, who scored 16 of ASU’s next 20 points, the Sun Devils would slowly start to chip away at the Beavers’ lead as they would get within four points on two different occasions. ASU could not get any closer on either occasion as the Beavers answered with field goals both times and would eventually extend their lead back to eight with 2:35 remaining.

The Sun Devils would stay within striking distance and would eventually make it a one-possession game after Gilling connected on another 3-pointer to make it a 67-64 game with 35 seconds left.

ASU fouled Hallice Cook on the ensuing possession and Cook missed the front end of the one-and-one giving the Sun Devils a chance to send the game into overtime. Marshall, who had not made a shot the entire game, came through with a triple with 20 seconds left to tie the game at 67-67.

The Beavers would hold for the final shot, but could not win it in regulation as Nelson’s jumper at the buzzer missed the mark.

ASU showed great resilience in forcing the game into overtime after facing an uphill battle for much of the game.

For the second time in as many contests the Sun Devils got off to a slow start on the offensive end as the Beavers jumped out to a 9-1 lead over the first four minutes of the game.

Unlike its game on Tuesday night in which it was never able to get over the hump after giving up the game’s first 15 points in a loss at Oregon, ASU would come back with a 9-0 run over a two-minute stretch to take a 10-9 lead. Bo Barnes (two jumpers) and Gilling (ASU’s first 3-pointer of the game) came off the bench to spark the scoring run before McKissic finished it off with a layup to put the Sun Devils on top.

The aforementioned sequences, which took place over the game’s first seven minutes, set the tone for the first half as the two teams would take turns exchanging scoring flurries. After finding itself behind for the first time in the game, Oregon State would counter with an 8-0 run to take a 17-10 lead.

The Sun Devils made sure the game would not get out of hand as Gilling, Carson, Marshall and Eric Jacobsen all contributed during an 11-2 scoring burst to give ASU a 21-19 advantage with 7:22 remaining in the first half.

A layup by Nelson gave the Beavers a lead they would not relinquish the remainder of the half as they outscored the Sun Devils 14-7 over the last 6:30 to take a 33-28 lead at the break.

Gilling accounted for all four of ASU’s 3-pointers and led ASU with 14 first-half points. Marshall, ASU’s second-leading scorer, played only 11 minutes in the first half after picking up two fouls 3:10 into the game and then being called for his third with 5:18 left in the half.

Arizona State Sun Devils Men's Basketball
Sun Devil Mail
FB Renewals
MBB Renewals
MBB Renewals
Sun Devil Club Fall Campaign
FB Renewals