TEMPE, Ariz.—The Arizona State sand volleyball team was edged by Nebraska, 3-2, in a thriller that came down to the tiebreaker set of the final match on Wednesday at the PERA Club.
In front of a crowd of 303 fans, ASU started things off at the No. 5 position, where Andi Lowrance and Nora Tuioti-Mariner came out on top in the first set, 21-19, and then came from behind to defeat Mary Pollmiller and Kelsey Fein in the second set, 22-20.
The second Sun Devil victory came in the No. 2 position, as Macey Gardner and Whitney Follette defeated Amber Rolfzen and Kira Larson in straight sets, 22-20.
Nebraska picked up wins at the No. 3 and No. 4 positions, leaving the teams tied at two wins apiece going into the final match of the day.
At No. 1, Bianca Arellano and Bethany Jorgensen took set one over Justine Wong-Orantes and Melanie Keil, 21-16, before the Nebraska duo picked up the finals sets, 21-16, 15-11.
Check the ASU Sand Volleyball schedule on thesundevils.com for complete results and upcoming matches.
Nebraska 3, ASU 2
1. Justine Wong-Orantes & Melanie Keil (Nebraska) def. Bianca Arellano & Bethany Jorgensen (ASU): 21-16, 16-21, 11-15
2. Macey Gardner & Whitney Follette (ASU) def. Amber Rolfzen & Kira Larson (Nebraska): 22-20, 21-18
3. Alexa Ethridge & Cecilia Hall (Nebraska) def. Jordy Checkal & Kizzy Willey (ASU): 23-21, 21-18
4. Brenna Lyles & Alicia Ostrander (Nebraska) def. Genevieve Priotte & BreElle Bailey (ASU): 21-16, 12-21, 10-15
5. Andi Lowrance & Nora Tuioti-Mariner (ASU) def. Mary Pollmiller & Kelsey Fien (Nebraska): 21-19, 22-20
Order of finish
5, 4, 3, 2,1*