AGAINST THE CARDINAL
ASU is 16-12 all-time against Stanford, including 6-8 in Palo Alto (1-6 since 2000)
EXPLOSIVE PLAY COUNTER
The Sun Devils have recorded 27 explosive plays this season, which the Sun Devil coaching staff defines an explosive play as a 12-yard (or more) run or a 16-yard (or more) pass reception.
· They had nine against Stanford (Strong 30-yard catch; Foster 19-yard catch; Foster 21-yard catch; Chris Coyle 45-yard catch; Strong 28-yard catch; Grice 22-yard run; Strong 27-yard catch; Strong 34-yard catch; C. Smith 30-yard catch) and had six against Sacramento State and 12 against Wisconsin.
The Sun Devils are +2 in turnovers this season after going -1 against the Cardinal. They were +4 against Sacramento State and -1 against Wisconsin.
SUN DEVIL CAPTAINS
Taylor Kelly, Alden Darby, Marion Grice and Will Sutton
· Freshman punter Matt Haack lined up as first team punter for the first time this season. His first punt of the season went 50 yards and landed at the 10-yard line. He finished the game with four punts for 155 yards, including one inside the 20-yard line.
· Freshman wide receiver Cameron Smith and redshirt freshman Carlos Mendoza saw action for the first time this season
· Senior cornerback Robert Nelson recorded his first interception of the season and the fourth of his ASU career
· Cameron Smith caught his first career pass – a 30-yard strike in the fourth quarter
ANOTHER STRONG SHOWING
Wide receiver Jaelen Strong recorded a career-high 12 receptions for a career-high 168 yards, including a career-long of 30 yards that set up the Devils’ first touchdown of the game.
· His 12 catches are tied for the fifth most in a single game in school history and he is the first Sun Devil with at least 12 catches since Gerell Robinson in 2011 against Boise State.
· He now has 24 catches for 330 yards and a pair of touchdowns through three games this season
LEADING THE DEFENSIVE CHARGE
Linebacker Chris Young racked up eight tackles in the first half – the most tackles in a single game this season – and finished the game with a game-high and new season-high 10.
INSTINCT FOR THE ENDZONE
Running back Marion Grice now has eight touchdowns on the year (six rushing, two receiving), and has amassed 14 touchdowns (11 rushing, three receiving) over the past six games. Grice has racked up 27 touchdowns in 16 career games in an ASU uniform.
· Running back DJ Foster set a season-high with eight receptions for a season-high 80 yards
· Devil backer Carl Bradford recorded a season-high seven tackles, including his first sack of the season for a loss of nine yards, and a pair of quarterback hurries
CHRIS COYLE MOVES UP THE RECORD BOOKS
· Passed Ron Wetzel for sixth on the school’s tight end career receiving yards list with 895 yards. Becomes seventh tight end in school history to collect 800-plus receiving yards.
· Passed Ron Wetzel for fifth on the school’s tight end career receptions list with 69.
· His seven receiving touchdowns are tied with three others for the seventh most in school history
SECOND HALF SURGE
Outscored Stanford 28-13 in the second half