FAYETTEVILLE, Ark.—The Arizona State track and field teams opened the first day of competition at the 2014 NCAA West Preliminary Meet on Thursday at the University of Arkansas’ John McDonnell Field.
Five Sun Devils made it through their opening-round races with times to qualify for finals, starting with senior Sarah Geren’s finish in the 400m hurdles at 58.62, fourth in her heat and 17th overall. The semifinals for the 400m hurdles are on Friday at 7:45 p.m. CT, with the top-12 moving on to the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Ore. on June 11-14.
Junior Shelby Houlihan won her heat of the 1500m run with a time of 4:21.17, for second overall. Houlihan will run in the semis on Saturday at 6:45 p.m. CT. Freshman Kala Stone finished 39th overall with a time of 4:28.90, while junior Payton Schutte finished 43rd at 4:30.13.
On the men’s side, redshirt senior Ryan Milus finished third in his heat of the 100m dash first round, good for the automatic qualification to the semifinals with a time of 10.35. The semifinals are set for Friday at 6:30 p.m. CT.
Senior Keith Cleveland automatically qualified for the semifinals of the 400m dash with his time of 46.78, third in his heat and 18th overall. The semifinals are on Friday at 6 p.m. CT.
On the women’s side of the 400m Dash, junior Brianna Tate finished second in her heat and 10th overall at 53.06, and will run on Friday at 6:15 p.m. CT. Also for ASU, junior Sara McDonald finished 38th at 54.91, and freshman LaTroya Franklin finished 45th at 56.42.
Competition continues at the NCAA West Preliminaries on Friday, beginning with the opening rounds of the women’s discus at 3 p.m. CT. The running events will begin at 5 p.m. CT with the prelims of the 110m hurdles.
Women’s 400m Hurdles First Round
17. Sarah Geren – 58.62 (qualifies for Friday Semis-7.45 p.m. CT)
Women’s 1500m Run First Round
2. Shelby Houlihan – 4:21.27 (qualifies for Saturday Semis – 6:45 p.m. CT)
39. Kala Stone – 4:28.90
43. Payton Schutte – 4:30.13
Men’s 100m Dash First Round
12. Ryan Milus – 10.35 (qualifies for Friday Semis – 6:30 p.m. CT)
Women’s 100m Dash First Round
26. Asiah Gooden – 11.78
30. Jasmine Gibbs – 11.83
Men’s 400m Dash First Round
18. Keith Cleveland – 46.78 (qualifies for Friday Semis – 6 p.m. CT)
Women’s 400m Dash First Round
10. Brianna Tate – 53.06 (qualifies for Friday Semis – 6:15 p.m. CT)
38. Sara McDonald – 54.91
45. LaTroya Franklin – 56.42
Men’s 800m Run First Round
40. Michael Julian – 1:52.95
Women’s 10000m Run Semifinals
15. Adriana Olivas – 34:56.91
Women’s Javelin First Round
19. Alex Hartig – 46.17m (151-05)
Men’s Pole Vault First Round
15. Derick Hinch – 5.11m (16-9.25)
Women’s Long Jump First Round
25. Alycia Herring – 5.90m (19-4.25)
26. Jasmine Gibbs – 5.90m (19-4.25)
Men’s Shot Put First Round
28. Kyle Lillie – 17.03m (55-10.50)
Women’s Shot Put First Round
31. Ashley Weber – 14.82m (48-7.50)
Women’s Pole Vault First Round
20. Shaylah Simpson – 3.89m (12-9.00)