March 6, 2013
Long Beach State (6-7, 0-0) at No. 19 Arizona State (7-2-1, 0-0)
TEMPE, Ariz. - The 19th-ranked Sun Devils host a three-game series against Long Beach State at Packard Stadium Friday-Sunday. First pitch is at 6:30 p.m. (MT) on March 8 and 9, and at 12:30 (PT) on the 10th. Friday and Sunday's games will be Internet-only broadcasts and can be found on the All-Access player on thesundevils.com.
Can't Make It?
Friday and Sunday's game will be broadcast online through the All-Access player on thesundevils.com, while Blaze Radio will call Saturday's game. Tim Healey and Seth Dhaenens will be on the call for Friday and Sunday. Fans can also get live updates from the team's Twitter account @ASU_Baseball, and up-to-the-minute stats will also be available online with gametracker on thesundevils.com.
Friday - March 8 - 6:30 p.m.
Saturday - March 9 - 6:30 p.m.
Sunday - March 10 - 12:30 p.m.
Winkles Field- Packard Stadium at Brock Ballpark
ASU - RHP Trevor Williams (2-0, 1.29)
LBSU - RHP Shane Carle (1-1, 1.00)
ASU - LHP Ryan Kellogg (2-0, 1.20)
LBSU - TBA
ASU - TBA
LBSU - RHP Jon Maciel (1-2, 5.00)
Devils vs. Long Beach State and the Big West :
The Sun Devils are 35-9^ all-time against Long Beach State, and most recently won two-of-three in Long Beach last season, including a 3-2 12-inning win on Friday night. They swept the Dirtbags in a three-game series last time they were at Packard Stadium in 2011. ASU is 203-89^ all-time against the Big West.
- ASU has played 12 true freshmen this season, including eight position players and four pitchers. This is the most among teams ranked in the top 25 and is tied for the fifth most in the NCAA (Iona leads with 15)
- Coach Esmay is 60-13-1, including a perfect 22-0 in 2010, all-time against non-conference opponents since he was hired prior to the 2010 season
- Michael Benjamin has a team-high nine-game hitting streak
- Trever Allen leads the team with four multi-RBI games
- Freshman LHP Brett Lilek earned his first career win in his first career start in a 3-1 win over No. 2 Arkansas Feb. 28
- Four starting pitchers Feb. 28-March 3 combined to allow four earned runs and one walk in 25 innings pitched
- Freshman RHP Ryan Burr earned his first two career saves, both against No. 2 Arkansas, Feb. 28 and March 2
- Coach Esmay recorded his eighth and ninth wins over top-10 teams and improved to 37-27 against ranked teams since 2010
- The Sun Devils turned a season-high three double plays against Gonzaga
- Trevor Williams did not walk a batter for the seventh time in 18 career starts, pitched his third career complete game and tied his career high with nine strikeouts against Pacific
- Burr ranks 4th in NCAA Div. I at 2.7 hits allowed per 9 innings, and 10th in NCAA Div. I in WHIP
- Freshman LHP Ryan Kellogg is 16th in NCAA Div. I in walks per 9 innings at 0.6, and 11th in NCAA Div. I with 13.0 K-to-BB ratio
- The pitching staff is allowing just 6.5 hits per 9 innings, which ranks 15th in NCAA Div. I
- Three pitchers rank in top 11 in opp. batting avg (Burr, Williams, Lilek). The next closest team has two (UCLA, Stanford)
- Burr (.90), Kellogg (1.20) and Williams (1.29) rank in top 11 in ERA. ASU is the only conference team to place three
Twitter: @ASU_Baseball | Facebook: Sun Devil Baseball | Instagram: ASU_Baseball