Dec. 16, 2008
TEMPE, Ariz. -
Arizona State head baseball coach Pat Murphy, fresh off his second straight Pac-10 Coach of the Year award, has announced his recruiting class for the 2010 season. The Sun Devils, who won back-to-back Pac-10 titles, have already had this signing class projected in the top 10 nationally by the Perfect Game Crosschecker recruiting service. The 17-man class, which includes six of the top 100 high school players in the country, is expected to mesh with this past season's #1 recruiting class to help solidify Arizona State's position among the top collegiate baseball programs in the country for years to come. "Trying to predict how a young man mixes into this environment with all the expectations and demands is very difficult," said head coach Pat Murphy. "With commitments coming earlier and earlier, it is even more perplexing. Character guys and winning players must dominate your decisions on who to pursue." Arizona State University Baseball's 2009 Signees:
Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown (Previous School)
Andrew Aplin OF/LHP 5-11 186 Suisan, Calif. (Vanden HS)
Nolan Arenado 3B/C 6-2 210 Lake Forest, Calif. (El Toro HS)
Jake Barrett RHP/1B 6-3 225 Mesa, Ariz. (Desert Ridge HS)
Tyler Bernard IF/RHP 6-0 170 Valley Center, Calif. (Valley Center HS)
Alex Blackford RHP 5-11 185 Centennial, Colo. (Cherry Creek HS)
Xorge Carrillo C 6-1 220 Tempe, Ariz. (Central Arizona College)
Joey DeMichele IF 5-11 200 Phoenix, Ariz. (Arcadia HS)
Michael Englund IF/OF 6-0 197 Bellevue, Wash. (Eastside Catholic HS)
Beau Maggi C 6-1 195 Phoenix, Ariz. (Brophy College Prep)
Deven Marrero SS 6-1 188 Davie, Fla. (American Heritage HS)
Ethan Mather RHP 6-0 195 Ozark, Mo. (Ozark HS)
Josh Moody LHP 6-2 178 Phoenix, Ariz. (Western Nevada College)
Jacob Morris C 6-3 196 Coppell, Texas (Coppell HS)
Jimmy Patterson OF/LHP 6-0 180 Tempe, Ariz. (Central Arizona College)
James Pazos LHP 6-3 220 Gilbert, Ariz. (Highland HS)
Brady Rodgers RHP 6-2 175 Richmond, Texas (Lamar Consolidated HS)
Chad Thompson RHP 6-8 210 Lake Forest, Calif. (El Toro HS)
A detailed look at Arizona State University's signees:
Arizona State head baseball coach Pat Murphy, fresh off his second straight Pac-10 Coach of the Year award, has announced his recruiting class for the 2010 season. The Sun Devils, who won back-to-back Pac-10 titles, have already had this signing class projected in the top 10 nationally by the Perfect Game Crosschecker recruiting service. The 17-man class, which includes six of the top 100 high school players in the country, is expected to mesh with this past season's #1 recruiting class to help solidify Arizona State's position among the top collegiate baseball programs in the country for years to come.
"Trying to predict how a young man mixes into this environment with all the expectations and demands is very difficult," said head coach Pat Murphy. "With commitments coming earlier and earlier, it is even more perplexing. Character guys and winning players must dominate your decisions on who to pursue."
Arizona State University Baseball's 2009 Signees:
Andrew Aplin (5-11, 186, OF/LHP, Vanden HS, Suisan, California)
· A four-year varsity player for Coach Ryan Adams at Vanden.
· Three-time All-League selection.
· Named the SCAC Player of the Year in 2008.
· Won the 2006 SCAC League title.
· Played for Team USA in 2007 and 2008.
· Participated in the Area Code games, playing for the Brewers.
· Rated as the 68th best high school prospect by Perfect Game Crosscheckers.
A natural born leader with tremendous energy and passion for the game. Has experience with
Team USA and can play all three outfield positions as well as pitch. A very aggressive player
who can make things happen.
Nolan Arenado (6-2, 210, 3B/C, El Toro HS, Lake Forest, California)
· Three-year varsity player for Coach Mike Gonzales at El Toro.
· Was named First Team All-League, All-County, All-CIF and All-State selection.
· Team captain and Offensive Player of the Year in 2008.
· Helped Lake Forest to Division II Championship.
· El Toro High School Male Athlete of the Year in 2008.
· Helped Coach Mike Spiers and the nationally renowned ABD Bulldogs win the World
Championship at the WWBC in Jupiter, Florida.
· Participated in the Area Code games with the Reds.
· High school teammate of fellow ASU signee Chad Thompson.
· Rated as the 90th best high school player in the country by Baseball America Prospects Plus.
An excellent baseball player with solid skills on both sides of the ball. Has tremendous
energy and knowledge of the game, versatile on defense and has an advanced feel for
hitting the ball to all fields with power.
Jake Barrett (6-3, 225, RHP/1B, Desert Ridge HS, Mesa, Arizona)
· First Team All-State selection in 2008 for head coach Pat Herrera and pitching coach Drew McSherry.
· Pima Region Player of the Year and Tribune Player of the Year in 2008.
· Member of USA National 18U Team.
· Helped lead Desert Ridge to the State Final Four in 2008 and the Quarterfinals in 2007.
· Earned First Team All-Region and Honorable Mention All-State honors in 2007.
· Participated in the Area Code games with the Reds.
· Rated as the 54th best high school player in the country by Baseball America Prospects Plus.
One of the top power pitchers in the country. Has the ability to be make an immediate
impact at the college level due to his command of three excellent pitches. Also is an
excellent power hitter and could be used as a two way guy.
Tyler Bernard (6-0, 170, SS/3B/RHP, Valley Center HS, Valley Center, California)
· Two-time All-League selection.
· Two-time Silver Bat winner.
· Played QB for division champion football team at Valley Center.
A standout QB on the football field who possesses the ability to play almost any
position on the field. A highly competitive player capable of developing into a
very valuable member of the team due to his toughness and team first attitude as
well as his incredible versatility.
Alex Blackford (5-11, 185, RHP, Cherry Creek HS, Centennial, Colorado)
· 2008 All-State selection.
· 5A Rocky Mountain News Pitcher of the Year in 2008
· 2008 All-District 7 selection.
Features 3 strong pitches including a power curveball. Comes from a winning program
and plays for one of the nations finest high school coaches in Mark Johnson of Cherry Creek.
An outstanding student who continues to get better and better.
Xorge Carillo (6-1, 220, C, Central Arizona College, Tempe, Arizona)
· 2008 All-JUCO World Series selection.
· First Team All-ACCAC pick.
· Drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 28th round in 2007.
· MVP of the San Luis Obispo Blues of the California Collegiate Summer League.
· Named one of the Top Prospects in the California Collegiate League.
· Three time First-Team All City selection for coach Harold Bull at McClintock High School.
· Defensive Player of the Year for McClintock as a junior.
· Named the Joe Selleh Award winner as a junior at McClintock for his attitude,
sportsmanship, work ethic and leadership.
One of the finest junior college players in the country. An excellent defensive catcher
with some pop in his bat. Led Central Arizona College to the JUCO World Series last year
and looks to do so again. Excellent student and leader both on and off the field.
Joey DeMichele (5-11, 200, IF, Arcadia HS, Phoenix, Arizona)
· 2008 First Team All-State selection.
· State RBI leader in 2008.
· All-City selection in 2008.
· Arcadia HS MVP in 2008, Offensive Player of the Year in 2007, Defensive Player of the Year in 2006.
One of the top hitters in the state of Arizona as a junior last year, a very intelligent
player who excels in the classroom as well. Has the ability to play all over the infield
and swing the bat from the left side of the plate.
Michael Englund (6-0, 197, IF/OF, Eastside Catholic HS, Bellevue, Washington)
· Helped win a state championship for Coach Curt Towey.
· All-League honoree.
· Area Code Games participant for the Nationals.
· Member of the Seattle Mariners Fall Scout Team.
· Brother Stephen was a 2nd round pick of the Nationals and is in their farm system.
Extremely strong athlete who can hit for average and power. Has the athleticism to play
several positions on the field and can run. Follows in the long line of great players at
ASU who come from the Pacific Northwest including Willie Bloomquist, Travis Buck
and Colin Curtis.
Beau Maggi (6-1, 195, C, Brophy College Prep, Phoenix, Arizona)
· All-Region selection.
· Helped lead Brophy to a national #1 ranking in 2008.
· Has played for the Diamondbacks and Rays Fall Scout Teams.
· Quarterback for Brophy football.
· Brother of current Sun Devil Drew Maggi.
A switch hitting catcher from Brophy College Prep, also plays QB for the football team.
Will compete and provide depth at the catching position.
Deven Marrero (6-1, 188, SS, American Heritage HS, Davie, Florida)
· First Team All-County selection.
· Gold Glove winner.
· Helped Coach Todd Fitzgerald and American Heritage win a State and National championship.
· Ranked as one of the Top 10 Players at the World Wood Bat Championships.
· Participated in the Under Armour All-American Game played at Wrigley Field.
· Helped coaches Joe Hayden, Dave Evans and Brian Hiler lead his summer team,
traditional powerhouse Midland Redskins, to a 2007 AABC Connie Mack World Series title.
· High school teammate of Sun Devil signee and 2008 first round pick Eric Hosmer.
· Starting shortstop for Braves Scout Team at World Wood Bat Championships.
· Rated as the 29th best high school player in the country by Baseball America Prospects Plus.
The top shortstop in the country and a proven winner. Exceptional defender with
tremendous instincts and passion for the game. Understands what it takes to play
for a championship and has the leadership skills necessary to make an immediate impact.
Ethan Mather (6-0, 195, RHP, Ozark HS, Ozark, Missouri)
· First Team All-State player.
· Two-time Conference Player of the Year.
· Three-time All-District player.
· Helped lead Coach Mike Essick and Ozark to a state title.
· Participated in Greater Midwest Pro Baseball Scouts Showcase at Kansas City's Kauffman Stadium.
An intense competitor with great mound presence and aggression. Features
3 pitches highlighted by a power breaking ball. Has also competed as an
amateur boxer and has tremendous discipline and work ethic.
Josh Moody (6-2, 178, LHP, Western Nevada College, Phoenix, Arizona)
· Two-time All-Conference selection.
· 2007 All-State selection.
· Selected as a 18U Premier Pitcher in International Tournament in Joplin, Missouri.
· Second Team All-SWAC in 2008 at Western Nevada.
· Two sport athlete in high school.
A skilled LHP coming off a very successful freshman year for Western Nevada
Community College. An outstanding student who turned down an offer from the
Atlanta Braves last summer after being selected in the 29th round of the amateur draft.
Jacob Morris (6-3, 196, OF, Coppell HS, Coppell, Texas)
· AFLAC All-American.
· Under Armour All-American.
· Helped lead Coach Don English's Coppell HS to district title.
· Participated in the Texas Scout Association Workout.
· USA Baseball Tournament of Stars participant.
· Played for nationally ranked Dallas Tigers during the summer.
· Summer ball teammate of current Sun Devil Jordan Swagerty.
· Rated as the 58th best high school player in the country by Baseball America Prospects Plus.
Fantastic athlete who has game changing speed and strength. One of the finest
pure athletes in the country with five tool ability. Comes from a winning background
both in high school and summer ball.
Jimmy Patterson (6-0, 180, OF/LHP, Central Arizona College, Tempe, Arizona)
· 2008 All-JUCO World Series selection.
· Four-year letterwinner for coach Harold Bull at McClintock High School.
· Three-time All-Region selection and two-time All-City pick.
· Two-time All-State selection.
· 2007 4A-I Player of the Year after leading McClintock to state title.
· AZBCA 2007 Arizona High School Player of the Year.
· 2007 Second Team High School All-American.
· Played summer ball for Ed Knaggs for the Wenatchee Applesox of the WCBL, earning All-Star honors.
A two way talent who possesses power and bat speed while featuring an e
xcellent fastball/ curve ball combination on the mound. Another key member
of the Central Arizona College JUCO World Series team and will double as their
number 1 starter and 3 hole hitter this season.
James Pazos (6-3, 220, LHP, Highland HS, Gilbert, Arizona)
· 2008 All-Region selection.
· Also an All-Region performer in football and wrestling.
· Helped lead Highland HS to a regional championship.
· Participated in the Area Code Games for the Reds.
· Member of the Diamondbacks Fall Scout Team.
· Also recruited to play football in college.
Talented left hander with arm strength and size. A three-sport athlete in high
school with strong competitive background. Has the make up and attitude of a winner.
Brady Rodgers (6-2, 175, RHP, Lamar Consolidated HS, Richmond, Texas)
· Helped Coach Greg Kobza and Lamar Consolidated to back-to-back district titles.
· Three-time First Team All-District selection.
· Three-time First Team All-Area selection.
· 2008 district Pitcher of the Year.
· Second Team All-State in 2008.
· Took part in the Texas Scout Association Workout.
· Member of the Rangers Scout Team at Jupiter tournament in Florida.
A proven winner, one of the winningest pitchers in the state of Texas as a junior,
has excellent control of 4 pitches and is a fierce competitor.
Chad Thompson (6-8, 210, RHP, El Toro HS, Lake Forest, California)
· AFLAC All-American.
· 2008 Division II CIF Player of the Year.
· All-State and All-County selection.
· Seaview League MVP.
· Helped Coach Mike Spiers and the nationally renowned ABD Bulldogs win the
World Championship at the WWBC in Jupiter, Florida.
· High school teammate of fellow ASU signee Nolan Arenado.
· Named one of the Top 10 Pitchers at the World Wood Bat Championships.
· Rated as the 23rd best high school player in the country by Baseball America Prospects plus.
A physically gifted pitcher with tremendous potential. A power pitcher from a
winning background who has already pitched in big games and understands winning.