April 30, 2012
Like Arizona State Women's Golf on Facebook:
STATE COLLEGE, Pa.--The fourth-ranked Arizona State women's golf team earned the No. 2 seed in the East Region, the NCAA announced Monday. The Sun Devils will compete for an NCAA-record 21st-consecutive bid to the National Championships. The NCAA East Regional will be held at the Penn State Blue Course in State College, Pa., May 10-12.
ASU will join top-seed Alabama and third-seed Duke among the 24 teams competing in the region. The top eight teams and two individuals from each region will advance to the NCAA Championships held at the Vanderbilt Legends Club in Franklin, Tenn., May 22-25.
ASU, who is currently ranked fourth in the nation according to Golfweek, has finished in the top five in seven of its nine tournaments this season, including a streak of five straight.
The Sun Devils are led by senior Giulia Molinaro, who also has strung together a list of impressive finishes this season including tying for second place at last weekend's Pac-12 Championships in Pullman, Wash. Named Pac-12 Player of the Month in September for her victory at the Dale McNamara Invitational, Molinaro has recorded seven top-10 finishes and has not finished outside the top-15 this season. The senior also ranks third in the NCAA with a 72.12 scoring average.
NCAA East Regional
Penn State Blue Course
2. Arizona St.
3. Duke (Atlantic Coast Conference)
4. Texas A&M
7. Oklahoma St.
8. South Carolina
9. Michigan St. (Big Ten Conference)
14. Wake Forest
16. San Diego St.
17. Kent St. (Mid-American Conference)
19. Augusta St.
20. Campbell (Big South Conference)
21. Chattanooga (Southern Conference)
22. Oral Roberts (The Summit League)
23. Jacksonville St. (Ohio Valley Conference)
24. LIU Brooklyn (Northeast Conference)
1. Fanny Cnops, UNC-Greensboro
2. Charlotte Lorentzen, Georgia St.
3. Kelly Shon, Princeton
4. Katie Mundy, FIU
5. Michelle Piyapattra, Columbia
6. Laura Wearn, Furman